Sunday, November 21, 2010

Change I believe in.

Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.    ~Margaret Mead

I believe this.  I believe this with all my heart.  I also believe that a single person can change the world.
I have to believe it's possible because that's what keeps me going.  It's what keeps me talking to parents, putting myself out there, writing emails to the minister even after he has attempted to ignore me via dispensation of the pat answer; it's what keeps me writing this blog, un-schooling my children, continuously searching for a home for our school - it is the very fuel in my dream machine.



Every now and again, however, I'll look up from the wonderland of our lives as natural learners together and see the world around me.  And I get a little scared.  Maybe the majority IS right.  Maybe I am completely bonkers and I'm actually ruining my children's lives!

Panic!  Panic!  Panic! Panic! Panic! Panic!      

Inhaaaaaaaale...  Exhaaaaaaaaaale...

Then I ask myself:

  • What's so great about going to school?  
  • What would a school teach that my children need that they cannot get from the rich and diverse environments I continually provide for them?  
  • What is beneficial about projects that parents do and homework that takes children's (and their families') own private home life away from them?   
  • What exactly do my children need to know that they have to be placed into age specific groups and spend lots of their time memorizing stuff so that they can learn it?
  • What is the point of being alive?
  • What is the purpose of humanity? (oh yes, i GO there!)
  • Are we happy? 
  • Are they loving life-as-learning; learning-as-life?
  • Is there PA-LENTYof time for them to learn all the other stuff they need to know?
  • Don't they deserve to love their life NOW?
Sigh......   Yah.  We're good.  

Then I realize that by choosing this path, I am literally BEING the change I want to see.  

Our little family unit, soon to become our little Village School is a small group of citizens (most of whom happen to be children) will definitely change the world.  

I believe we already are.

No comments:

Post a Comment